Does your business struggle with ranking high on search engines or gaining high volumes of traffic to its website? Don’t worry because this issue is common and there is a certain term used to help in moments like this: SEO. What is SEO? Keep reading to learn more.
Search Engine Optimization, most commonly referred to as SEO, is the process of gaining traffic to your website from organic search results on search engines such as Google. SEO works to increase not only the quantity of traffic to your website but the quality too.
If you are looking for a new way to improve website traffic, rank higher on search engines and improve the amount of organic searches that finds their way to your company or personal website, continue reading to learn more about SEO and how helpful it can be.
How Does SEO Work?
Before we get into what SEO can do you for company and how you can use it for your benefit, let’s cover the basics: how does SEO work?
When you search for specific topic on Google (or any other search engine of your choice), the website performs a crawl, which gathers information centering on the topic that you are searching for. The crawler will bring back that content to build an index, which is then fed through an algorithm which tries to match data with the inquiry that you’ve typed into Google.
The O portion of SEO (optimization) comes into play with the content that is written on websites. Optimization takes form in many different ways including the use of specific keywords within website content, meta descriptions and meta tags which are just some of the ways that content can be used toward indexing. Making sure your content is descriptive, includes relevant keywords and of a nice length, can help improve your rankings on search engines.
What SEO is Made of?
Let’s break down the different parts that make SEO whole.
Traffic Quality – Quality traffic means attracting visitors who are actually interested in what you have to offer and say on your website in order to attract that type of traffic, you want to use specific keywords and language so that you are easily able to be indexed and found on search engines. Having a large number of website visitor traffic is great, but if it doesn’t lead to genuine interest or even a sale, it can be purposeless.
Traffic Quantity – Traffic is important once you have the type of website visitors that you are looking for. Large numbers of visitors who are interested in your business and its products and services may \want to inquire about them and even better, make purchases.
Types of Results – SEO is comprised of developing organic search results. Organic search and traffic is traffic that you don’t have to purchase. What makes SEO powerful is that it drives free traffic directly to your website.
How to Make SEO Work for You?
As we’ve covered in this blog post, SEO is important for website traffic, which helps the overall success of your website in garnering traffic. Here are some ways that you can make SEO work for you:
- Mention Keywords that Matter, Where they Matter – The use of keywords are incredibly important when it comes to the success of your website and not just the usage, but where you use them. Include your specific set of keywords in the site title, URL, page content and website descriptions among other places where you see it necessary. Make sure these keywords are industry specific.
- Internal Page Linking – Purposefully linking to the most important and informative pages on your website can help with SEO performance. Those internal links gives search engines a better understanding on the structure of your website.
- Don’t Change Your Domain Name – Constant changes to your domain name will play a role in your website potentially under-performing on search engines. One of the most important rules is to be patient and stick with your domain overtime.
- Have a Consistent Website Theme – Making sure your website focuses on one thing (at least in its messaging) helps with indexing and ranking well on search engines sites. Choosing one specific topic can be hard, which is why keyword research can come in handy here.
- Use Your Meta Description to Showcase Your Brand – As mentioned in #1, using keywords in specific places matters. Use your meta description to accurately explain what your business is. A meta description is an important introduction to potential site visitors and when it is an intriguing description, that can encourage a potential visitor to click onto your website.
This blog post is just a brief introduction into the great big world of SEO. There is so much more to cover, learn and study in order to develop a strongly optimized website. It is important for you, whether you are a business owner or are developing a personal website, to truly understand the importance of SEO and how small steps such as using keywords in the right place and internal linking can play a role in ranking high on search engine sites. You want to do everything that you can to encourage more website visitors, which can bring success to your business and/or brand.